The badminton is a sport in which the foot plays a very important role and in badminton, foot injuries are so common. Since different movements such as jumping, lateral movement or friction with the playing surface and this, in short, quick movements are combined.
Currently, badminton is the fastest racquet sport in the world, with high intensity and with short periods of rest, which requires jumping, thrusts, sudden changes of direction, reflexes, speed, etc.
Being such a fast sport you have to make continuous movements. It allows us to get some shots in the best possible conditions. To guarantee a good technical execution of those strokes, we need special displacements that are different depending on which part of the track is hit and which blow is the one you want to make, as well as the height and speed at which the steering wheel moves.
The playing surface is rectangular and is divided into two halves separated by a network. Normally, the tracks are marked for both the individual and the double mode. In the case of doubles, it is wider than the individual, but the service area in doubles is shorter. The total width of the track is 6.10 meters, and in an individual is reduced to 5.18 meters. The total length of the track is 13.40 meters, that is, each half measures 6.7 meters.
Badminton Foot Injuries & Treatment
It is a sport that requires a successive repetition of the same gestures. It ends up causing muscular fatigue that ends in a lack of coordination of the body and therefore, in an injury.
The most frequent injury considered as serious is the rupture of the Achilles tendon. Due to the biomechanical gestures that the player has to perform. Among the most frequent minor injuries are ankle sprains.
As preventive treatments to these injuries are recommended to strengthen the anterior and posterior muscles of the leg, in addition to using specific footwear for this sport that includes especially a great cushioning and a flexible rubber sole.
It is advisable for all those who practice this sport to carry out a complete biomechanical study of the footprint and include, if the podiatrist sees it necessary, personalized templates as a helpful treatment for each player. The insoles will provide comfort, optimal cushioning, flexibility and more safety in the lower extremity when performing the most intense movements.
As in every sport, the badminton requires certain footwear that must have the following characteristics :
– A thin rubber sole to get the center of gravity lower, and thereby ensure the player better stability.
– It must be as light as possible so that the player can move faster
– They are designed specifically to face the resistance, the strength of the legs and the speed of reaction time. All these elements very important for the game of badminton.
– They are designed with support under the ankle to allow the movement of flexion of this joint.
– A heel counters but it should help to block the foot in the shoe, anchoring it to the midsole.
– It has to include good lateral support because this sport requires constant changes of direction in the development of the game.
– Good absorption of impacts in the heel area.
In Sporty Review we have gathered Best Badminton Shoes, you may read it.
The World Badminton Federation estimates that 150 million people play Badminton around the world and that more than 2,000 players participate in international competitions.