Recumbent bikes are an excellent way to get exercise. Not everyone has the means of running or biking outside their homes. To counter this problem, several companies have developed machines that are intent upon keeping exercise inside. Each device comes with its own features and customization options, along with their own pros and cons. Below you will find a list of recumbent bikes that we’ve deemed excellent. Below each description will be a variety of pros and cons. All of which is intent upon summarizing the highlights and drawbacks of each option.
- 1 Schwinn Recumbent Bike Series
- 2 Option Number 1 – Schwinn 270
- 3 Option Number 2 – Schwinn 230
- 4 Option Number 3 – Schwinn A20
- 5 Option Number 4 – NordicTrack Commercial Studio Cycle S22i
- 6 Option Number 5 – Marcy Regenerating Recumbent Exercise Bike
- 7 Option Number 6 – Exerpeutic 1000XL 300 lbs
- 8 Option Number 7 – Nautilus Recumbent Bike Series EXCLUSIVE
- 9 Final Thoughts
Schwinn Recumbent Bike Series
This particular recumbent bike series is a particularly great one. You are able to choose from 3 trim levels. They are as follows: Schwinn 230, Schwinn 270, and Schwinn A20. Each option comes standard with Bluetooth connectivity. Bluetooth connectivity allows you to track your fitness progress. Below we have descriptions as well as pros and cons for each trim level.
Option Number 1 – Schwinn 270
The machine supports multiple fitness tracking applications and social media applications which are partnered with said fitness applications. This trim level comes with the following 29 programs: 12 different profile programs, 9 heart rate related programs, 4 custom program options, 2 programs related to fitness testing, and 1 quick start option. As for a power source, this particular recumbent bike will work on a 110V circuit up to a 120V circuit. This particular option from the Schwinn series of recumbent bikes also offers 25 resistance levels, LCD displays, USB ports, drive systems that are both high inertia and high speed, and last but not least, an adjustable fan.
- This particular option among the Schwinn recumbent bike series offers 25 levels of resistance.
- It has a wide variety of programs, along with fitness application compatibility.
- It has a wide variety of media features.
- Takes quite a bit of time and skill to assemble this recumbent bike.
- It can be quite heavy, meaning you won’t be able to move it around your house on your own. We will need to remain stationary.
Option Number 2 – Schwinn 230
This particular recumbent bike in the Schwinn series is slightly lower than the 270 but still comes with a variety of effective features. First of all, this option includes what the manufacturer likes to call, “Goal Track”. Set yourself goals and targets in order to get the best out of your workouts. This particular recumbent bike also offers 20 levels of resistance instead of the 25 on the 270. These resistance levels enable you to choose from a large variety of intensity options (slightly less than the 270, but a lengthy repertoire of options nonetheless). The 230 recumbent bike includes a drive system that is both high inertia and high speed, therefore allowing workout startups to be smooth, quick, and quiet. 22 programs come preset into the 230 models. Of the 22, there are 9 profile programs, 2 fitness testing programs, a quick start program, and 8 programs related to your heart rate. Last but certainly not least, the 230 model comes with LCD displays, which of course allows for easy viewing of the various preset programs. Although the 230 is slightly inferior to the 270, we believe it is still an extraordinary unit. Not to mention the feature drop means lower price points.
- As mentioned, the 230 models have cut features in favor of lowering the overall price. This makes it an ideal choice for those on a strict budget (although if it is still out of your price range, we recommend you look at the A20 model (below), which is even cheaper).
- 22 programs that have already been downloaded into the recumbent bike.
- High-quality LCD displays for easy viewing of preset applications/programs.
- Like the Schwinn 270, the 230 is also quite heavy and may take several people to move throughout your home.
- Putting this particular recumbent bike together reportedly requires a decent tool skillset (in other words, if you’re a handyman, you’ll have no problem. If not, you may need to ask your nearest handyman for some help).
Option Number 3 – Schwinn A20
This particular recumbent bike is also part of the Schwinn series and has been labeled as the most inferior. What we mean by this is that it purposely lacks features to maintain a lower overall price. After all, not everybody needs or wants a bunch of high tech features. Sometimes people just want to exercise without distraction! This particular recumbent bike comes with what the manufacturer likes to call, “Goal Track”. This system will allow you to set goals for yourself, and track them as you make your way towards them. Alongside this goal tracking program are 7 other preset programs. Of the seven there are 6 profile options and one quick start option. When it comes to media options, you will find that the A20 comes standard with a USB port for your mobile device, an MP3 input, and a built-in speaker. That’s right, you can actually listen to music on the recumbent bike’s own speaker system! Do keep in mind that both the 230 and 270 also have this option. What better way to work out than by tracking your goals, listening to music, and ignoring all distractions! Perfect!
- Distraction-free allowing for super productive workouts.
- As features are limited, this particular recumbent bike will be the most affordable option from the Schwinn recumbent bike series.
- Includes all the necessary media inputs, and nothing more.
- Similarly to the 230 and 270, this particular recumbent bike is also somewhat difficult to put together (although if you’re at all handy you should have no problem). An instruction manual is included for all three trim levels.
- The machine is somewhat heavy (although lighter than the other recumbent bikes in the Schwinn series). You may need help when moving it around!
Option Number 4 – NordicTrack Commercial Studio Cycle S22i
This particular recumbent bike has a lot of features and is not known for its simplicity. With a 22-inch high definition touchscreen mounted in front of the handlebars, you can work out while watching pretty much anything. This particular recumbent bike comes as a package deal from Amazon. When buying the bike, you also get a one-year membership to iFit. The membership is reportedly worth $396 for the year and includes on-demand features, interactive training, workout programs, studio programs, and more. Through the 22-inch high definition touch screen, you will be able to track everything. You’ll be able to track your goals, accomplishments, checkpoints, fitness factors, and more. The S22i comes with 24 resistance levels, which allow for ultimate control over your workout. You can rest assured that every time you use this device you’re going to be riding super smoothly, as this particular recumbent bike uses Silent Magnetic Resistance, or for short, SMR. The S22i comes with a year-long warranty and has a weight limit of 350 pounds. Keep in mind that this product can only be purchased from either Amazon or NordicTrack (the original seller, whereas Amazon is the only authorized reseller).
- It comes with a large variety of programs and media features.
- 22-inch high definition touchscreen allows for multimedia use at all times.
- 24 different resistance levels allow for complete control over your workouts.
- This particular recumbent bike is one of the most expensive on this list, for it has the most features.
- This is not the recumbent bike for those who crave simplicity. With features all over the place, those with short attention spans may find themselves getting distracted quite often.
Option Number 5 – Marcy Regenerating Recumbent Exercise Bike
This particular recumbent bike comes with a large variety of features and convenience options. First of all, this recumbent bike comes with a high strength frame, allowing for a weight limit of 300 pounds. Not only does it allow for people on the heavier side to use it, but it ensures that (as long as the weight limit is not surpassed of course) all users will be effective and safe. One massive advantage of this bike is that it uses self-regenerating power. This means you won’t have to plug it into a wall or any other power source. It does not require batteries either. All you need to do to power up this recumbent bike is start pedaling! It’s kind of like those old school flashlights where you would spin a handle to power up the light! At first, a lot of people assume this recumbent bike will be lacking in the media department, but that’s not true at all. This recumbent bike features 23 built-in programs and several LCD displays between the handlebars. All of which are powered by you. Alongside these benefits are 24 resistance levels, which allow you to have complete control over your workout. Last but certainly not least, everything can be adjusted. From the seat to the handlebars.
- You do not need to plug this recumbent bike into a power source, nor do you need to put batteries into it. Saves you a lot of money when you take your power bill into consideration!
- Multiple programs and several resistance levels allow you to take complete control over your workouts.
- A lot of adjustable parts! Workout comfortably and effectively!
- As mentioned, this particular recumbent bike is powered up by you pedaling. This means you won’t find features like SMR on this bike, which means the startup won’t be as smooth as others. In a way, some people like this because it replicates an actual bicycle.
- It may be somewhat difficult to put together and move around your house on your own (although this seems to be fairly common among our recumbent bike list).
Option Number 6 – Exerpeutic 1000XL 300 lbs
This particular recumbent bike comes with a decent amount of options. First of all is Smart Cloud Fitness. This particular program is only available on the Bluetooth enabled version of this recumbent bike. The program allows you to sync your fitness tracking with your mobile device (iOS/Apple and Android are supported). This recumbent bike has a high-quality frame made of high strength steel, which allows for a weight capacity of 300 pounds. The Exerpeutic 1000XL also has 8 levels of tension. The bike supports this using their Magnetic Tension Control System. With a decently large LCD display in front and a large seat/seat rest, this particular recumbent bike is an excellent option for most.
- This particular recumbent bike has a weight limit of 300 pounds and features a high strength steel frame.
- 8 tension levels that are sure to be smooth and effective.
- Large backrest and seat allowing for supreme levels of comfort.
- Bluetooth capabilities allow you to sync your fitness tracking to your mobile device.
- The handles on either side of the front-mounted LCD display are somewhat small, which limits the range of position the rider is allowed.
- Other options have far more options and features. The most notable being the limitation of 8 tension levels.
Option Number 7 – Nautilus Recumbent Bike Series EXCLUSIVE
This Nautilus Recumbent Bike series includes several options, however, we will only be discussing the EXCLUSIVE model. This particular recumbent bike includes “Goal Track”, which allows users to set and track their goals. This recumbent bike comes with 22 programs preinstalled. Of these 22 programs, 9 are profile related, 2 are custom, 2 are fitness testing related, 8 are heart rate related, and 1 is for quick start workouts. This recumbent bike features a high definition LCD display, multiple speakers, and a weight limit of approximately 136 kilograms.
- 20 resistance levels which allow you to take full control over your workouts.
- Multiple speakers allow you to listen to your favorite music while working out.
- A high strength frame allows for a weight limit of 136 kilograms.
- It may be somewhat difficult to assemble and move around your home by yourself as it is quite heavy (according to most reviews).
Check out our: Badminton Rules Singles and Doubles
We hope this article on the top seven best recumbent bikes helped you choose the right one for you. Each one comes with its own features and options and is aimed at a specific crowd. For more information, please refer to Amazon or the product manufacturers.